Value Stream Management (VSM) is a proven and effective step-by-step methodology for understanding and applying the principles and practices of the Toyota Production System (i.e., Lean) within an healthcare organization.
VSM or Lean Healthcare will improve overall facility efficiencies while improving patient care and safety. It should also be noted that the content in this book will support any and all Six Sigma projects. The VSM process is similar to treating a patient. It requires people (i.e., healthcare providers, aides, technicians, administrative support, etc.) and vendors (suppliers for medical equipment, pharmaceutical companies, etc.) working together to effectively yield the benefits of Lean throughout the entire supply chain.
As the treatment of a patient is individually tailored, Lean must also be tailored to the facility, department, and/or process in which it will be used. In this book you will learn how to:
1) Apply the Value Stream Management methodology to specific projects within your facility
2) Educate staff on the fundamentals of Lean so that Lean can be part of everyone s job each and every day
3) Create a business case to inform the staff on the need for Lean or continuous improvement
4) Determine where waste lies in processes and facilitate ideas on how to eliminate waste through Total Employee Involvement (TEI)
5) Create current and future state maps, as well as a plan for implementation
6) Accelerate improvements activities
7) Select projects and apply the Lean tools
8) Improve patient (direct), as well as non-patient (non-direct), care processes
9) Document improvement activities to convey to management the success Lean can have on improving the bottom-line and
10) Allow Lean to become a way of life in an ever-changing and demanding environment.
Value Stream Management for Lean Healthcare will provide you with the fundamental process (and steps) to implement Lean. Value Stream Management for Lean Healthcare has been segmented into the four main chapters of Assess, Diagnosis, Treat, and Prevent. These chapters will provide the skeletal framework on how the Lean tools and practices can be effectively applied in your Lean journey.
The version contains over 40 Dropbox file links to the forms, worksheets, and checklists contained within for immediate application to the tools and concepts.